When we came back from our few days away Senga, one of our Scot's Grey hens was missing. I looked for her everywhere, but as it's all rather wild I hadn't a hope of finding her really. I did wonder if she'd been snaffled by a pine marten, eaten by a fox.
I heard peeping coming from the shrubbery & found her with her 7 newly hatched chicks. They are a devil to catch & the Mothers get very fierce. Jim lifted her with welder's gloves on. I had a bucket to hand & lifted them in - the easiest method I've found. Senga managed to splatter Jim with what appeared like 3 weeks worth of shoite.The chicks & Senga are now safely ensconsed in a nursery house with a secure run.
I'm so pleased for her. Senga has 'sat' twice this year unsuccessfully, jumping off her eggs a couple of days before the eggs were about to hatch. So it is good, and she is so pround of her brood & such a good Mum.
Sunday, 27 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment