Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Frrrrreezing Still.

 


We managed to get out last Tuesday & rescue a friend, take her with us over to Dingwall for shopping. Jim had to chip the ice off the track & spread some grit we had gotten dropped off at the top of the road. It took a couple of days - well a few hours over 2 days to get the car up to the roadside. It was -12 at Contin, and that was during mid day. We've left the car at the roadside, but now the roads are starting to become impassable.

Everything has frozen solid, is lethal underfoot. The water is still frozen in the caravan, so each day we get buckets of it out of the burn. The sheeps' water is freezing all the time, so we have to trail up with fresh buckets about 4 times a day. Poor sheep, but they're toughies. We were getting short of hay ( we still have some stored over at a friend's byre)Jim was going to trail along the 3 miles with a wheelbarrow & cart back a couple of bales today, but someone came with them on a quad, so that was great.

The calor gas still keeps freezing - well the regulator does. We do quite a lot of cooking & water heating on the wood burning stove. I'm so glad we put it in. The hens are spending each day under the caravan. It's not frozen under there. Old caravans have no insulation so they are getting a bit of heat going down from above. The cats are grumpy, just going out to do their business & back in. Weemon seems to spend most days & nights under the quilt on the bed, coming out for a few hours at night to sit beside the stove & lash out at Spider to get the best seat. I'm not doing much, just trying to keep warm, cooking, trailing up to the sheep & watching rubbish telly. I've shut down like a squirrel.

The forecast is not good. It snowed quite a lot last night, although we don't seem to have that much really, but it's the ice that's the worry. The fresh snow has given some grip underfoot. Previous snow has become compressed into ice. The wind has also picked up & would take the face off you it you let it.
Someone down the road had an accident with a quad & trailer - they stupidly had their kids on the back. It tipped & both kids had to be helicoptered to hospital - I hope they're okay.
It's been nice & bright most of today & looked magnificent, but not for lingering in. The sun will come back in less than two weeks hurray. It doesn't really reach us yet because of the benn, but it's coming..........
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. That looks really cold! We had about 10 sunless days and it drove me nuts, here's hoping you guys get some sunshine in your lives very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Kirsty.

    The sun hides behind the Benn (Mountain) It's the arc of the sun is so low until the 15th January - I think. It's longer hiding the further up the Loch you are. It means we are in shade until it comes back (about 6 weeks)- makes it even colder seeming. I don't think I'm explaining this very well.
    We get very grey days too - even in the Summer, but not the last one, which was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely, Caroline, but I'll bet it's all sorts of tricky to live with. Do take care, stay warm and well. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah - Happy New Year.
    It's tricky, but you have to plod on for the animals.
    I do not want another year in the caravan, so this year we have to get our fingers very muckle oot & get on with the house build.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline, I've been thinking of you when looking at the weather news over in the UK and hoping you and the animals are surviving the cold and snow.
    Glad to see you are ploughing on, take care in the ice and hope you see the sun soon.
    May 2010 be productive for you, both with writing and house building!

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen - Happy New Decade.

    Thanks.
    It's the length of time it's been solid ice that's the problem really. The sheep are nearly through all the hay & feed we have here. That's the worry as it doesn't look like relenting soon, but we'll have to make do. We tried to get out today to get shopping for elderly neighbours & a friend who can't get out, but we had to turn back.
    Hope it thaws soon.
    Bet you're glad you moved.

    CarolineX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Caroline,

    Thinking of you and your sheep. You must have copped that -20 last night, serious stuff. Sending you some London (-2) warmth!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's snowy and set to be minus LOTS degrees this weekend... but it's more set up for it here (people attach snowploughs to their 4x4 vehicles and clear the roads themselves!)
    But houses are more built for it too with good insulation.

    The poor farm animals are all intensively reared and live indoors all year round anyway :(

    Maybe you should build an igloo like the innuits? When you build your house think about tripple glazing and that amazing insulation made from recycled newspaper. Green AND cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caroline, things sound quite grim for you at the moment and I really admire your spirit. I think where I live has been the least affected of all areas, yet I'm still moaning like a good 'un!

    I hope things get warmer for you soon

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pete - Happy New Decade.

    Yes - we seem to be breaking records & it's stunningly cold, yet at the same time incredibly beautiful - probably the hypothermia talking now....only joking.

    I don't think it's ever been so cold for so long.

    I must try & write something for your challenge & not use any more 'ly' words. Ha...

    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jen,

    Our house will have 'warmcell' insulation & be a damn sight warmer than this metal box - hopefully! Can't spend another Winter in the caravan.

    I think you are more organised over by you. If we had loads of money...........but it's the only way we can do things is the way we are.....

    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nick - Happy New Decade.

    There's nothing like a good whinge about the weather eh? It's what we're famous for.

    It's much worse over on the East Coast - sheds are collapsing under the weight of snow with animals trapped inside.
    I'm really glad I've got idigenous breeds - they're such toughies, but it is hard for them with the ice. I've got through so much hay & supplements as there is nothing else for them to eat as it's all covered in an icredible layer of ice & snow.
    Yes - I hope it thaws soon - as the novelty is wearing thin now.
    All the best
    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete