Sunday, 10 January 2010

Just Doing The Basics.

 
At the start of the gorge beyond the hen houses, where the croft really begins to slope downwards to the loch side is the first mini-waterfall. We've burnt so much wood these last few weeks that we are running out. There's a few dead trees still lying about so we set too on Friday gathering them in. It was stunningly cold, where simple pleasures are the best: removing your wellies & kicking your chilblains against the stove is somehow exquisitely pleasurable.

The mini-waterfall feeds a deep pool. In the Summer it makes a wonderful bathtub when the midges are absent! It's quite lovely at the moment with its fringe of icicles.

Since the freeze came I haven't walked down to the Mother fall where there's a 20 metre drop. It will no doubt be stupendously gorgeous & frozen at the edges. But it's too dangerous a descent at the moment. We hope to have a micro-hydro system rigged up for the house from it & that can't come too soon for me!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Caroline

    It sounds idyllic, believe it or not, though I'm sure it isn't some of the time. I'd like to get a lungful of that cold, fresh air (and then go back inside quite quickly). Would love to hear more about your generator (if that's what the micro-hydro thing is) - is there a website?
    Haven't had a chilblain since I was a kid (in Scotland!)

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cold has become a curse. It thawed then snowed again & has thawed but the wind is off the artic & we have storms forecast again for this week. It's been too long, too harsh & even though we've shovelled hay & supplements into the sheep they are in poorish condition. I'm pleased we didn't put a ram in. I'm pleased we won't be lambing - even though I'll miss it in a way.
    Sheep are becoming an expensive pastime & I'm going to be curtailing the flock - not expanding.

    I must do more (record more) on the house build even though it's going very slow. The micro hydro system isn't in place - will be one of the last things to do, but I should do a blog on just the house stuff...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you doing? Is it still arctic?
    Thinking of you and the beasties,
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen,

    It's very cold but gloriously bright.

    Hope you are well.

    I must update as I took some photies today.
    All the best
    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete