It was a lovely dusk so went for a run, saw an eagle riding the thermals, but then unfortunately came across this poor wee squirrel.
As it was a collared one we took it around to Alaister the Dundonnell gamekeeper. It seems that this is the seventh that someone has brought in, but how many haven't bothered?
It was quite stiff, had been dead a while. Was a wonder the eagle hadn't spied it, or a fox, pine marten, crows.........

Is this one of the red squirrels? (I know it's probably a stupid question but I was just in Scotland and our driver told us they were rare, and then you said it was tagged so I'm making a leap of logic)
ReplyDeleteHi Kirsty,
ReplyDeleteReds have vanished in quite a lot of places due to grey squirrels - they compete for food.
They've brought in 40 - some were tagged to trace them, but they are getting wiped out on the road, people taking the twisty track too fast.