On Tuesday Senga one of my Scot's Grey hens appeared back, abandoning her hidden eggs which were due to hatch in a few days.
Wednesday was such torrential rain Jim had to anchor down the little bridge in case it swept away down the waterfall. We've never seen the burn in such spate, even after the Winter's thaw. The bridge is a good, simple construction and enables me to get across to the veggie patch without sliding on the slimy rocks across the burn. We call it In-Laws leap.
Maybe Senga knew the weather was to turn and decided to give up the nest.....They aren't as daft as they look you know.
On Thursday we had to travel 80 miles to the vet with Wee Mon our tabby cat who has aquired an eye injury. Possibly Spider our black monster cat had scratched him, or he'd been pricked by a jaggy bush?
Wee Mon appeared 13 years ago in a bad way. We later found out he'd been dumped in a skip by the son of someone who sits in the House Of Lords. He's still scared of men, but a wonderful creature - very intelligent and likes going for walks down to the shore.
The vet was great, examined it thoroughly, reassured me it was probably salvageable and gave us drops. We have to go back next week - go through it all again. He's scratched his cornea, not ruptured it as we feared. Wee Mon was brave, dignified and sat on my knee on the journey home.
I'd picked up a copy of the Daily Mail while we were over on the East coast, a paper I dislike, but get it once or so a year to see if it or I have changed. There was an article about the knees of models and actresses over the age of 40. There were numerous photos pointing out 'the flaws.' I have never thought about knees aesthetically before. Mine crack and creak now and again, but serve their purpose. The writer was pleading with women over the age of 40 to wear longer hem-lines. Maybe we should all start wearing a burka I thought sarcastically, but on the letter page there was someone wanting burkas out-lawed. You could almost forgive the writer of the 'flawed knees' article if it had been a man, a young, silly air-head, but it was written by a woman.
I don't wear short skirts, but I might start to so as to offend the sensibilities of Daily Mail readers.
This morning I rolled up my trouser legs, asked Jim if my knees look old. No, he said, but they're all scratched.
And so they are - must have been Wee Mon clinging on on the journey home.
Today we lifted wood, tons of stacked wood that had been delivered to the roadside. We loaded it into a van, took it down to the house site, unloaded it and stacked it.
We ache, didn't eat until 9pm, but it kinda feels good. Feels like we've squeezed every last drop out of the day - are quenched.
Friday, 24 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad the Vet was good!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean with the wood. Done the same thing with rocks. I ached in places I didn't know I had...
About the knees article. I can tell that writer is going places. What a deep soul...
B.
Hi Brian,
ReplyDeleteThat vets practice is great, far away but worth the longer journey to them.
I'm sure you are the same - instil confidence in the owner & animal.
Still moving those rocks around?