Saturday, 17 October 2009

Counting sheep.

Jim fed the sheep yesterday & couldn't find two of the lambs. In the afternoon I looked everywhere, but still no show. I wasn't overly worried as I know they are getting down into the bottom fields under a fence, but there are so many nasty bramble fronds that could tangle them up. The ground has dropped leaving escape routes under the fence, and although we've put boards along the bottom you always miss bits.
This morning I went down & after ages found them happily munching on willow scrub (Choille means willow scrub, or just scrub dependent on the area). They are still a little shy of me, but ate a handful of sugar beet.

By the time I went up to the apportionment to feed the ewes & Harriet & Gem  the orphans, the morning had marched on. I fed the sheep, but no sign of Harriet. I shouted, but still no show, which was strange enough to be worrying. I walked over most of the bottom apportionment (about 3 acres) calling her name, but still nothing.

I went & got Jim from his hay shed construction. We walked and called. Walked and called, stopped and listened - straining to hear a weak bleat - nothing. I had a sinking feeling. Each time I ventured up a deep stream I dreaded rounding a corner, fearful I would find a heap of damp, life-less fleece. How must it feel if you are hunting for a human loved one - I can only imagine?

Jim found her wedged upright between a V of rocks. He managed to drag her out and up a steep drop to me, but she was off her legs. We checked her fearing she'd broken limbs, but she seemed fine apart from the lack of movement in her legs. She could have been stuck for hours, over night possibly, but I doubt that. The rain has been so incessant that the burn (stream) was roaring, she wouldn't have heard me call & I couldn't have heard her bleats over the noise of it. I rubbed her limbs, to warm her up, but also I was  checking for jaggy breaks, odd lumps. She took a wee while to get walking, but the relief was immense. I had a bag of sugar beet pellets with me & she gobbled them hungryly, found her legs & strength very quickly.
Stress is a killer, and especially for sheep. I think another few hours and she may have been gone - but she's a wee toughy. How do big farms manage - probably they just have bigger losses as they can't possibly check all their stock twice a day as we do?

Well what a glorious day. Everything is blinding bright, the Loch mirrors the mountains and every crevice is picked out like an 'O' Level geography map. The deer are moaning in full rut and the bracken has turned ginger. Would I live anywhere else, would I swop the caravan for a luxurious apartment?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

No comments:

Post a Comment